NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- A roster of restaurant stocks, including Tim Hortons (THI), Brinker International (EAT) and Wendy's Arby's Group (WEN) posted quarterly results Thursday, dishing up a mixed plate of results.
Coffee-and-donut chain Tim Hortons posted better-than-expected earnings, thanks to strong same-store sales growth in its Canadian stores. Chili's operator Brinker International (EAT) missed top- and bottom-line expectations but forecast 2011 earnings in line with analysts' consensus call. Wendy's Arby's missed expectations and lowered its 2010 outlook.
Tim Hortons attributed its 21% jump in second-quarter earnings to stronger same-store sales, or sales at stores open at least one year, in its Canadian locations. System-wide comps grew 9.2%. The figure included a 6.4% jump in Canada, compared with an increase of 1.7% in the year-earlier quarter. Same-store sales at its U.S. locations grew 3.1%, down from a 3.3% rise in the second quarter of 2009.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV