The challenge for many investors, however, is reconciling this stance -- Apple seldom makes acquisitions. When it does, the buys tend to be small, tuck-in deals. Unlike many of its contemporaries in Silicon Valley, Apple has proved its ability to grow without spending big on mergers and acquisitions.
"The company has exercised exemplary fiscal discipline throughout this growth phase -- both in controlling expenses and avoiding costly acquisitions," explained Bernstein in its letter, adding that a dividend could attract a new class of investors. "There are investment managers with mandates that they invest only in dividend-paying stocks -- additionally, some investors are ideologically opposed to investing in companies that lack a clear policy on cash usage."
Apple's shares gained $1.77, or 0.71%, to reach $251.96 on Thursday despite a modest retreat in tech stocks that saw the Nasdaq slip 0.81%.
-- Reported by James Rogers in New YorkFollow James Rogers on Twitter.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV