GM Drives Closer to IPO
DETROIT (TheStreet) -- General Motors busily put the pieces in place on Thursday for its IPO, naming a new CEO and lining up a $5 billion credit facility.
Besides naming Don Akerson to replace Ed Whitacre as CEO on Sept. 1 and as chairman at the end of the year, the company secured a $5 billion revolving credit facility, the Wall Street Journal reported.
Major banks including Bank of America (BAC), Morgan Stanley (MS) and J.P. Morgan (JPM) committed up to $500 million each to the credit line, sources told the newspaper. A revolving credit facility strengthens the company's balance sheet and provides funds that can be accessed quickly for any reason.
GM is widely expected to file its IPO registration as early as Friday, although CFO Chris Liddell declined to comment on the timing on the company's earnings conference call on Thursday, when GM announced a $1.3 billion second quarter profit.The news that Akerson will replace Whitacre came in a surprise announcement at the call's conclusion. "[The move] "seems to be about the IPO," said Edmunds.com CEO Jeremy Anwyl. "GM wants the issue of succession planning off the table." -- Written by Ted Reed in Charlotte, N.C.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV