NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- The housing market saw sales ramp up in March and April as consumers rushed to take advantage of tax credits that offered as much as $8,000 for first-time homebuyers and $6,500 for repeat buyers. Following the expiration of those credits on April 30, the market saw a dramatic decline in demand for the month of May that spilled over into June. Lawmakers later extended the deadline to close on a home purchase and still qualify for the tax credit to Sept. 30.
The rush of homebuyers looking to take advantage of federal tax credits helped homebuilders like D.R. Horton (DHI) and M.D.C. Holdings (MDC) grow new home sales by strong double-digit percentages last quarter.
D.R. Horton and M.D.C. Holdings outpaced sector peers on volume -- growing closed sales volume by 60% to 6,805 homes and 71% to 1,135 homes, respectively, in the second quarter -- primarily due to their willingness to go out and build spec homes, explained Stifel Nicolaus analyst Michael R. Widner. In other words, they were willing to take the risk of building new home inventory without contracted buyers in place. That bet paid off as hoards of buyers showed up in April wanting to take advantage of the credits, and were willing to make a rushed deal to qualify.
Beazer Homes USA (BZH) said traffic and new home orders were well above year-earlier results through the end of April, but after the tax credits expired, traffic in May and June was substantially lower.PulteGroup (PHM) said last week its closing volume doubled last quarter to 5,030 homes thanks in part to the tax credit.
VOTE: Do We Need Another Homebuyer Tax Credit?
|Would a new round of credits help or hurt the housing market?
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV