5 Don'ts of Debt Management
BOSTON (TheStreet) -- Debt is daunting. Fortunately, there are many debt-management counselors there to help when you're in over your head.
Unfortunately, there are some debt-settlement companies out to fleece you. Over the past decade, the Federal Trade Commission and state enforcers have brought a combined 259 cases against so-called debt-relief providers that have deceived or otherwise abused clients who are already down on their luck. Here are five ways to avoid being a victim.
1. Don't choose a for-profit debt-management agency. There are many agencies dedicated to advising consumers on the art of debt management, including offering budgeting advice and, sometimes, negotiating lower interest rates and monthly payments with creditors. Find one that isn't solely out to take more of your money. Don't be afraid to ask whether a credit counselor will get a commission for signing you up for a debt-management plan. If the answer is yes, go elsewhere. "First and foremost you want to look for a nonprofit," says Ali Mahood, a financial-education consultant in Boston. "For-profit companies will charge high fees and they don't [yet] follow federal guidelines."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV