In a recent article, economist Andy Xie suggested we "
First, please keep in mind that recently China's Ministry of Urban Rural Development said more than
The first trick Mr. Xie uses to get readers to "fear" is a fractions game. He tells us that if there were 32.5 million vacant "households" in urban China, it would amount to a 20% vacancy rate. Implied in this he's also telling us he believes there are only 129 million occupied households in urban China; it's simple math (occupied households would then have to be 4 times 32.5 million.) That's a pretty small number for the 625 million people living in urban China. It would be almost 4.9 people per household and is simply not credible. There may on average be 5-6 young, newly migrated workers living together in China's factory dormitories, but not all of urban China. Thus, we see Mr. Xie's fraction trick; he underestimates the real demand for China's housing.
(Note, even if we back out all of China's 200 million migrant workers who don't all live in factory dormitories, his numbers still imply 3.3 people per "household," very high for a relatively young, urban Chinese, mostly upper and middle class population with a low birth rate. In this case for every mostly upper or middle class single person living alone, there would have to be 6 people living together, or for every couple, 5. We already backed out China's newly migrated workers, and so some who live in "households.")
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV