At the end of July, Amazon once again cut the price on its entry-level Kindle, offering a basic Wi-Fi-only model for just $139, making it the cheapest e-reader among major brands.
Less than a week after Amazon began taking pre-orders for the devices, which will begin shipping Aug. 27, they sold out.
But 48.7% of voters said the price will surely drop further, and will bottom out at $99. Another 31.8% think it could go even lower.Aside from this basic model, Amazon also reduced the price on its Kindle 2 to $189, and offers the Kindle DX for $379 after originally being priced for $489. It's no surprise that investors are betting Amazon will continue to cut prices, as it faces growing competition from a slew of fresh handheld devices, as well as Apple's (AAPL) iPad and a pending tablet from Google (GOOG). Other lesser-known brands are also rolling out e-readers for under $100, which will no doubt put pressure on the Kindle. Copia, a subsidiary of DMC Worldwide, plans to introduce a five-inch color e-reader for just $99 this fall. "The iPad disrupted pricing strategy for everyone in the e-reader market, and after the price wars with Barnes & Noble and Amazon, everyone's trying to differentiate themselves from a price-point perspective," Tony Antolino, senior vice president of DMC Worldwide, said in a statement. "We decided to do a revision of our hardware positioning."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV