NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Markets recovered in the latter half of Friday's trading after dropping more than 1% following weak jobs data.
Consumer-focused exchange-traded funds came under selling pressure early in the day, soon after data showed that the U.S. economy shed 131,000 jobs, far more than the projected 87,000 decrease. On Thursday, retailers declared lower-than-expected same-store sales, which also worsened investor sentiment.
By the end of the Friday session, this particular batch of ETFs managed to recover some of their losses, though they still finished in the red.
The SPDR S&P Retail ETF (XRT), which shed more than 2% in early trading, closed 0.5% lower. Its top holdings include Aeropostale (ARO), which lost close to 4% after an analyst at Wells Fargo (WF) downgraded the stock to market perform.The Consumer Discretionary Select SPDR (XLY ) gave up 0.7%, dragged lower by selling in Amazon (AMZN), among other stocks. Vanguard Consumer Discretionary (VCR) and First Trust Consumer Discretionary AlphaDEX (FXD), an actively-traded ETF, were other prominent losers. Financial ETFs also lost ground, even as markets recovered. The SPDR Financial Select Sector (XLF) retreated 0.8%. Weak economic data, however, helped drive investor appetite for gold and gold-mining ETFs. The SPDR Gold Trust (GLD) rose by 0.8%, and Market Vectors Gold Miners ETF (GDX), rose by nearly 1%. -- Reported by Shanthi Venkataraman in New York. Follow TheStreet.com on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV