Einstein Noah Restaurant Group said late Thursday its second quarter earnings decreased 49.2% to $3.3 million as competition in the fast-casual breakfast market heated up.
A roster of quick-serve food chains have been expanding their breakfast menu offerings recently. Burger chain Jack in the Box (JACK) said it expanded its breakfast menu last quarter with a grilled sandwich. It also introduced a new blend of coffee, likely in an effort to compete with McDonald's (MCD), Starbucks (SBUX) and Dunkin' Donuts. Jack in the Box also said its breakfast menu accounted for nearly 20% of its $523.3 million in fiscal-third quarter sales.
>>See our new stock quote page. Follow Miriam Marcus Reimer on Twitter and become a fan of TheStreet on Facebook. Get more stock ideas and investing advice on our sister site, Stockpickr.com.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV