No. 9 -- Eli Broad, SunAmerica Founder
NET WORTH: $5.8 billion
Broad has been a front line name in the world of philanthropy well before Buffett and Gates began calling, like many of the GivingPledge donors.
The former insurance titan is as well known for his art collection as he is for his charitable giving and is currently involved in plans to build a museum in Southern California to house his huge collection.Broad, who started out in real estate, founded SunAmerica and headed the company until 2000. Since leaving the business world, Broad has been busy buying art and giving money away, notably founding a business school at his alma mater, Michigan State University. There are so many Broad Institutes for this and that, as well as a $100 million here and there given to institutions like Harvard and MIT, that Broad's inclusion on the Buffett/Gates list was a fait accompli long before the effort began. It's not the first time that Broad has worked with Gates, specifically, either. The Eli and Edythe Broad Foundation teamed with the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation in pledging a joint $60 million to create the Strong American Schools non-profit in 2007. Broad has been as sought after for his collection of modern art as he has been for his charitable impulse. The insurance king has made his personal collection and Broad Art Foundation collection part of a permanent loan system for museums and universities around the world.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV