For the quarter ended June 30, the company saw earnings rise 51.6% to $420 million, or 69 cents per diluted share, compared with earnings of $277 million, or 46 cents per diluted share, in the same period a year ago. Earnings from continuing operations were 68 cents per share, slightly ahead of analyst estimates of 66 cents per share.
Total expenses were down 7.6% to $2.51 billion from $2.71 billion.
Revenue was essentially flat at $3.3 billion during the quarter. Revenue related to the company's filmed entertainment segment fell 10% to $1.25 billion from $1.38 billion due to lower home entertainment revenues, which were down 43%.Worldwide theatrical revenue was up 10% driven by the successful performance of Marvel Studio's Iron Man 2 as well as DreamWorks Animation's Shrek Forever After. Both domestic advertising revenue and worldwide revenue rose 4%. "We are well positioned to capitalize on improving trends in the advertising market. We have strong slates of new and returning programming debuting in the coming months on MTV, Nickelodeon, BET, Spike, Comedy Central and other networks, which we continue to deliver to audiences on multiple screens and devices," said Philippe Dauman, the president and CEO. For the first half of the year, earnings rose 46.5% to $665 million, or $1.08 per share, compared with earnings of $454 million, or 75 cents per share, in the same period a year ago. Revenue fell 1.9% to $6.09 billion from $6.2 billion. The 5% gain in media network revenue was offset by the 14% drop in revenue from the filmed entertainment segment. Viacom shares are trading around $34. -- Reported by Theresa McCabe in Boston. Follow Theresa McCabe on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV