By Roberto Pedone
WINDERMERE, Fla. (Stockpickr) -- Technical analysis can be a great asset to investors who want to determine what the trend of the market or a stock is before they throw down hard-earned money. Consulting the charts can help you spot important market action before it happens, preparing you to follow the trend and make the right trade.
Technical analysis is a method of evaluating securities by relying on the assumption that market data, such as charts of price and volume, can help to predict future market moves and trends. Technical analysis will help guide you to discovering the chart patterns that offer the highest probability of success. By consulting the charts and using technical analysis, plus combining those methods with fundamental analysis, you will truly have an edge over a majority of market participants.
Right now, the S&P 500 has made a significant technical move by breaking above its 200-day moving average of 1114.83. A move above the next area of major resistance at around 1131.23 could set up a run back toward 1173. Market players should expect new money to flow into the markets as long as the S&P can stay above both its 50-day and 200-day moving averages. Many large institutional investors will not deploy money into the markets unless the S&P is trading above both of these key levels.Recently, the tech-heavy Nasdaq has also made a significant technical move by trading above its 200-day moving average of 2264.71. Market players should watch for this key index to take out the next area of significant resistance at around 2307.60. A move above that level should set up a run back towards 2341, which is the next area of overhead resistance. Here's a look at some compelling charts that are piquing the interest of the Stockpickr community.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV