Hospital Pediatric Patient Safety Rated By HealthGrades For First Time
Hospital -acquired infections are the leading cause of potentially preventable mortality among pediatric patients, according to a study of pediatric patient-safety incidents issued today by HealthGrades, the leading independent health care ratings organization.
The study utilized eight patient-safety indicators developed by the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, part of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, to analyze the prevalence of patient-safety events at hospitals as well as to identify hospitals that performed above average.
Examining all hospitals in the 19 states that make data publicly available, the first annual HealthGrades Pediatric Patient Safety in American Hospitals Study analyzed five million pediatric patient records over the years 2006, 2007 and 2008 and identified 25,367 patient-safety events and 1,465 potentially preventable inhospital deaths. Of the deaths, 70.44% were associated with hospital-acquired infections (postoperative sepsis and central venous catheter-related infections).
Pediatric patient-safety incidents in the following eight categories were studied:
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV