NewStar Reports Second Quarter 2010 Results
Loan Volume Doubles as Better Credit Performance Drives Earnings
- Profitable quarter with net income of $5.3 million, or $0.10 per share
- Substantially lower provision for credit losses
- Decline in non-performing assets to $149.9 million
- New loan origination nearly doubled from the prior quarter to $123 million
- Net interest margin improved to 3.75% from 3.03%
- Expenses were stable at 1.87% of average assets
- Strong liquidity and capital position
BOSTON, Aug. 4, 2010 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- NewStar Financial, Inc. (Nasdaq:NEWS), a Boston-based commercial finance company, today reported adjusted net income for the second quarter of 2010 of $5.9 million, or $0.11 per diluted share. On a GAAP basis, the Company reported net income of $5.3 million, or $0.10 per diluted share, which reflected $0.5 million after-tax non-cash equity compensation expense related to the 2006 IPO.
"Adjusted net income (loss)" and other non-GAAP financial measures used in this release are defined under "Non-GAAP Financial Measures" on page 5. Reconciliations between GAAP and adjusted (non-GAAP) measures can be found in the attached financial tables."I am pleased with the continued improvement in our operating performance as lower credit costs drove our return to profitability in the second quarter as expected. Importantly, we also doubled our new loan origination from the prior quarter, capitalizing on our direct origination platform and improving loan demand," said Tim Conway, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer. "Our return to profitability represents an important milestone for the Company and reflects our ability to stabilize credit performance and bolster the balance sheet, which will allow us to focus on expanding the business in an attractive environment. While our earnings remain vulnerable to potential negative credit surprises at this stage of the cycle, I remain optimistic about the positive trend in our credit performance."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV