The bank, whose assets total nearly $26 billion, reported its first quarterly profit in more than two years in mid-July but Wall Street is skeptical that it's out of the woods just yet.
Of the 27 analysts currently covering the stock, 18 have a hold rating. And while the median analysts' 12-month price target for the shares is $14, implying upside of more than 15% from current levels, the stock was sitting at a 52-week high of $15.86 as recently as mid-April.
The question is whether or not that pullback is emblematic of the broad weakness in the bank stocks due to financial reform and other well-documented headwinds since that time, or does it represent real skepticism about First Horizon's post-crisis prospects? The answer, as it so often is, seems to be a little bit of both.Management's stance, unsurprisingly, is that the bank is ready to rise up and meet the challenges of the new world of banking. CFO William 'BJ' Losch says the First Horizon's relatively new leadership team is far from exhausted coming out of the crisis; rather, they're just getting started. "We're certainly tired, but kind of energized about where we are for the future," Losch said in a recent interview with TheStreet. "We just returned to profitability this quarter
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV