NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Better-than-expected results from drug major Pfizer (PFE) spurred buying in pharmaceutical and healthcare ETFs. Pfizer blew past estimates, helped by the acquisition of Wyeth and higher sales. The stock is up nearly 5% at $16.25.
Pharmaceutical HOLDRS (PPH), which counts Johnson & Johnson (JNJ), Pfizer and Merck (MRK) among its top holdings is rising 1.4% on Tuesday early trading. The iShares Dow Jones US Healthcare (IYH) and SPDR Health Care Sector (XLV) are also heading higher.
Weak economic data appears to be driving buyers to safe havens like gold. The SPDR Gold ETF (GLD) is up 0.6% to $116.30. Gold mining companies, a riskier way to invest in gold, is also seeing buying interest. The Market Vectors Junior Gold Miners ETF (GDXJ)is gaining 2.3%.
A blowout quarter from Solarfun (SOLF) and reports that a South Korean company is going to acquire a 49.9% stake in the Chinese solar module maker, is boosting buying in solar ETFs. The Market Vectors Solar ETF (KWT) is up 1.6% in Tuesday early trading, while Claymore/MAC Solar Energy ETF (TAN) is up 1.1%.-- Reported by Shanthi Venkataraman in New York. Follow TheStreet.com on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV