1. On March 2, 2010, GHP, which currently holds a 48.7% voting stake in the Company, stated in a letter to the Board that “For the avoidance of doubt, please note that we have no interest in selling or otherwise disposing of any of our shares of common stock of the Company. In the event that any third party were to propose a competing transaction requiring a vote of the Company’s stockholders that the Company wished to pursue, we would oppose and vote against such competing transaction. ” We believe the purpose of the above quotation from GHP is to dissuade any other third party from making a competing bid. Thus, our suggestion is that the Special Committee consider keeping the company public and realize value through the changes outlined above.2. Additionally, GHP’s letter stated, “Following consummation of the proposed transaction, we expect that the Company will continue to operate its business as currently conducted. We do not anticipate seeking changes in the Company’s management as a result of the transaction. ” Adam Berger, the CEO, and the management team have a duty of care and loyalty to the Company and all its shareholders. However, we are concerned about management’s long standing relationship with GHP and its vested interests in keeping their jobs and generous compensation packages. If another strategic acquirer were to purchase Spark, the management team would likely not be retained. As a result, we believe that the management team is confronted with a significant conflict of interest, and we are concerned that it may not pursue all possible transactions with equal vigor.
Osmium Partners Demands Action At Spark Networks To Maximize Shareholder Value
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts
Every recommendation goes through 3 layers of intense scrutinyquantitative, fundamental and technical analysisto maximize profit potential and minimize risk.
More than 30 investing pros with skin in the game give you actionable insight and investment ideas.