NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Fears that a supply shock could broaden the supply and demand imbalance in wheat have pushed the commodity to a 13-month high and there still may be opportunities for some strength in the wheat market.
Harsh weather conditions, such as a severe drought in Russia and excessive rainfall in Canada, have also provided the groundwork for positive price support for wheat. In fact, production in Russia is expected to decrease significantly in order to prevent prices from skyrocketing; that could lead to a decline in exports.
In fact, severe weather conditions have led the Food and Agriculture Organization to state that production of wheat in key producing areas is expected to decrease by at least 10 million to 15 million tons this year. As a result, some nations have already taken measures to slow down exports to meet domestic demand. One such nation is Ukraine, which has implemented stricter wheat quality controls to curb the potential of huge domestic price spikes.
Another factor that could lead to positive price support for wheat is increased demand from expected global population growth and increased purchasing power of individuals in emerging markets.For those looking to gain exposure to wheat, here are a few possibilities:
- PowerShares DB Agriculture (DBA), which allocates nearly 9.2% of its assets to wheat.
- PowerShares DB Agriculture Long ETN (AGF), which seeks to replicate an index that allocates nearly 25% of its assets to wheat.
- iPath DJ-UBS GrainsTR Sub-Idx ETN (JJG)
- ELEMENTS MLCX Grains Index TR ETN (GRU)
Written by Kevin Grewal of SmartStops i in Houston. Grewal has no positions in the securities mentioned.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
24/7 market commentary from Jim Cramer and 20+ veteran Wall Street gurus. Get access to the latest trading ideas on stocks, options, and ETFs as well as a real-time forum to see the pros exchanging their investment ideas.
- Jim Cramer + 20 Wall Street pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Real-time trading forum
- Actionable trade ideas
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV