We can trace a number of reasons behind the movement that favors temporary workers:
- The severity of the 2008-2009 downturn coupled with the reduced accessibility of credit has made small businesses cautious.
- The economic recovery of late 2009/early 2010 has been shallow (by historical standards), and growth expectations have diminished -- slower growth in output translates to a reduced pace of hiring.
- As businesses deleverage and become more cost-efficient, temporary workers represent a way to avoid the higher costs of permanent employees.
- Temporary hiring enables a business to maintain staffing flexibility, allowing it to adjust more quickly to workload fluctuations and rapid changes in business conditions.
- Limited or no need for employer contribution to workers' compensation insurance or unemployment, no employer liability for Social Security or Medicare taxes and no need to provide job benefits, including health insurance or retirement plans.
- Increased economic and policy uncertainty.
- A wedge of political and regulatory uncertainty.
- Rising health care costs.
- The likelihood of ever more populist initiatives favoring employees at the expense of employers.
- The need for more specialized workers for shorter periods of commitment.
- less buoyant and dynamic domestic economic growth;
- a less consistent rate and more unstable trajectory of domestic economic growth;
- sustained and higher-than-historic corporate profit margins;
- less of a potential corporate commitment to permanent growth initiatives in hirings and in new capital plans;
- less inflows into the domestic stock market through 401(k) plans and other retirement programs;
- dampened consumer confidence; and
- greater demand for renting over home ownership.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV