1. Sears and Kmart: When holiday shopping in July is not only condoned, but encouraged, someone's bound to cross the line. Enter Sears, whose revenues plummeted 5.8% in the past year and whose stock price soured by 42% in the past three months. Given that bleak backdrop, it's little wonder Sears felt like playing holiday music and lining its seasonal aisles last week with trees, ornaments and little light-up houses. The sale continued in the tchotchke-teeming "Christmas Lane" sections of Sears.com and Kmart.com, but Sears and Kmarts' biggest present for consumers is a "Christmas Club" card offering 3% interest (up to $100) for would-be Santa's looking to save now. So between the midsummer sales and the savings clubs, consumers get the privilege of spending twice? It's a holiday miracle!
-- Reported by Jason Notte in Boston.
Twitter and get more stock ideas and investing advice on our sister site, Stockpickr.com.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV