BOSTON (TheStreet) -- U.S. stocks are vacillating between the positivity of strong earnings reports and the negativity of soft economic data. Short-sellers are on the prowl, looking to exploit weakness in heavy-volume names. Here are the 10 most shorted S&P 500 stocks. They are ordered by percentage of float sold short, from heavily shorted to most heavily shorted. If momentum picks up, these stocks could be susceptible to a short squeeze.10. CMS Energy (CMS) is a utility in Michigan. Its stock has gained 28% during the past year, outpacing the Utilities SPDR (XLU), which is up a more modest 7%. Second-quarter net income increased 6.5%, but earnings per share more than doubled to 39 cents. Revenue increased 9.1%. The stock trades at a price-to-projected-earnings ratio of 11, a 14% discount to its peer average. It offers a 3.7% dividend yield with a safe payout ratio of 51%.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV