Universal Stainless Reports Strong 2010 Second Quarter Results
- Sales of $51.3 Million are Up 48% From 1Q10 -
- EPS is $0.61 Versus $0.21 in 1Q10 -
- Backlog Totals $46 Million Versus $53 Million for 1Q10 -BRIDGEVILLE, Pa., July 28, 2010 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Universal Stainless & Alloy Products, Inc. (Nasdaq:USAP) reported today that sales for the second quarter of 2010 were $51.3 million compared with $30.8 million in the second quarter of 2009 and $34.7 million in the 2010 first quarter. Net income for the second quarter of 2010 was $4.2 million, or $0.61 per diluted share. For the second quarter of 2009, the Company reported a net loss of $0.4 million, or $0.06 per diluted share, which included a negative tax adjustment equivalent to $0.11 per share. In the first quarter of 2010, net income was $1.4 million, or $0.21 per diluted share. The Company recorded negative cash flow from operations of $0.8 million for the second quarter of 2010 after adjusting for a $4.1 million tax refund. This compares with positive cash flow of $12.7 million in the second quarter of 2009 and negative cash flow of $2.8 million for the first quarter of 2010. Cash flow has decreased in 2010 due to the Company's investment in managed working capital to support increased sales activity. Capital expenditures were $2.3 million, including $1.2 million for a melt shop upgrade project, which is expected to be completed in the current quarter. At June 30, 2010, the Company had cash of $34.7 million and total debt of $12.2 million. The Company noted that shipment volume continued to improve in the second quarter of 2010 and volume shipped to the end markets of aerospace, power generation, petrochemical and service center plate increased 48%, 48%, 38% and 27%, respectively, over the first quarter of 2010. President and CEO Dennis Oates commented: "Market demand continued to recover in the second quarter. Our strong on-time performance and improved lead times helped win additional business and we made more progress in penetrating new segments of our markets. Sales rose to the highest level in 6 quarters and our company-wide operating margin reached 12.5% of sales, nearly double the level of the 2010 first quarter and the highest level in 11 quarters. In addition to the higher volumes, our increased profitability was due to cost reductions from ongoing process improvements and recent capital investments. We intend to make further progress in improved quality and reduced costs.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV