A Soccer Goal Worth Thousands: Budweiser Kicks In Extra $28,000 For Scholarships To Mark 145th And Final Goal Of 2010 FIFA World Cupâ¿¢
ST. LOUIS, July 27 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- For each goal scored during the 2010 FIFA World Cup™, Anheuser-Busch and Budweiser pledged to donate $500 to the Hispanic Scholarship Fund (HSF). But with only 145 goals scored in South Africa, the lowest total since the tournament switched to a 64-game format, the King of Beers was not satisfied.
To mark Spain's first-ever FIFA World Cup trophy, Anheuser-Busch announced today that it will donate $28,000 for the single goal scored during the championship match – bringing the final support as part of this special program to $100,000.
"When Spain defeated the Netherlands with a single goal, it marked the tournament's 145th goal, one of the lowest totals in recent years," said Margarita Flores, senior director of community relations at Anheuser-Busch and a member of the board of directors for HSF, adding that the first 144 goals were worth $72,000 to the HSF. "But because the HSF is such a worthy cause, we made Spain's goal in the championship match worth an extra $28,000 – bringing the grand total of Budweiser's support to $100,000."
This is the latest in Anheuser-Busch's longtime support of the Hispanic Scholarship Fund. The company began supporting the HSF in 1982.Frank D. Alvarez, President and CEO of the Hispanic Scholarship Fund, said money from Anheuser-Busch will help support Latino students who attend nearly 2,000 colleges and universities in all 50 states, Puerto Rico, Guam and the U.S. Virgin Islands. During the past three decades, more than 20,000 students have received an education because of Anheuser-Busch and Budweiser's support of the Hispanic Scholarship Fund, Flores said.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV