BALTIMORE ( Stockpickr) -- For decades now, investors have increased their focus on following the smart money, reading books and letters penned by everyone from hedge fund managers to corporate CEOs. But how much would you pay to get inside the head of one money manager?
In the case of Baupost Group's value investing guru, Seth Klarman, investors are paying up serious cash to get a glimpse of a winning investment methodology.
In 1982, Klarman founded Baupost Group, a private investment partnership seeded by $27 million from wealthy Boston families. Today, Baupost manages funds in excess of $1.6 billion thanks to a phenomenal track record. But while Baupost is closed to new investors, Wall Street's clamoring over the opportunity to glean insight from Klarman's 1991 book, Margin of Safety, Risk Averse Investing Strategies for the Thoughtful Investor.
The book, which details the hedge fund manager's approach to value plays, was never reprinted. Today, a copy of the tome will set you back between $700 and $3,000.But if you're not willing to pay top dollar for Klarman's investing insights, a lot can still be learned from the stocks his fund is buying right now. Here's a look at the four biggest bets Baupost Group made last quarter.
|More on Stockpickr|
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV