Cigarette Maker Lorillard's 2Q Profit Falls
Its shares rose 95 cents, or about 1.3 percent, to close at $77.25 Monday.
Lorillard is the last of the country's top tobacco companies to report its second-quarter results.
Last week, Altria Group Inc., owner of the nation's biggest cigarette maker â¿¿ Philip Morris USA â¿¿ said its net income grew 3.2 percent on lower costs and higher prices. Its volumes declined 10.2 percent.
Meanwhile, No. 2 Reynolds American said the cost of closing factories and changing its sales force helped send its net income down 9.5 percent. The number of cigarettes it sold fell 9.5 percent.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV