Cigarette Maker Lorillard's 2Q Profit Falls
Its shares rose 95 cents, or about 1.3 percent, to close at $77.25 Monday.
Lorillard is the last of the country's top tobacco companies to report its second-quarter results.
Last week, Altria Group Inc., owner of the nation's biggest cigarette maker â¿¿ Philip Morris USA â¿¿ said its net income grew 3.2 percent on lower costs and higher prices. Its volumes declined 10.2 percent.
Meanwhile, No. 2 Reynolds American said the cost of closing factories and changing its sales force helped send its net income down 9.5 percent. The number of cigarettes it sold fell 9.5 percent.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV