MetroCorp Bancshares, Inc. Announces Second Quarter 2010 Results, Improved Profitability, Reduction Of Nonperforming Assets And Increased Capital Ratios
HOUSTON, July 22, 2010 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- MetroCorp Bancshares, Inc. (Nasdaq:MCBI), a Texas corporation, which provides community banking services through its subsidiaries, MetroBank, N.A., serving Texas, and Metro United Bank, serving California, today announced the operating results for the second quarter of 2010.
Second Quarter Highlights
- Net income of $84,000 for the second quarter of 2010, compared with net income of $1.2 million for the second quarter of 2009 and net loss of $3.4 million for the first quarter of 2010.
- Diluted loss per common share for the second quarter of 2010 of ($0.04), compared with diluted earnings per common share of $0.05 for the second quarter of 2009 and diluted loss per common share of ($0.36) for the first quarter of 2010.
- Total nonperforming assets declined by $18.7 million or 18.9% for the second quarter of 2010 to $79.9 million compared with the first quarter of 2010, and declined $23.0 million or 22.3% compared with December 31, 2009.
- Net interest margin was 3.75% for the second quarter of 2010 compared with 3.58% for the second quarter of 2009 and 3.97% for the first quarter of 2010.
- Net interest income was $14.2 million for the second quarter of 2010 compared with $13.7 million for the second quarter of 2009 and $14.5 million for the first quarter of 2010.
- Provision for loan losses for the second quarter of 2010 was $2.4 million compared with $1.8 million for the second quarter of 2009 and $7.9 million for the first quarter of 2010.
- Allowance for loan losses was 2.94% of total loans at June 30, 2010 compared with 2.31% at December 31, 2009 and 1.84% at June 30, 2009.
- Total risk-based capital ratio increased to 14.57% at June 30, 2010 compared with 13.80% at December 31, 2009.
- Metro United Bank ("MUB") entered into a Stipulation to the Issuance of a Consent Order with the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation ("FDIC") and the California Department of Financial Institutions ("CDFI") on July 22, 2010.
George M. Lee, Executive Vice Chairman, President and CEO of MetroCorp Bancshares, Inc., stated, "The results of management's focus and efforts were encouraging. On a linked-quarter basis, we are seeing progress and gaining momentum as measured by earnings, asset quality and capital.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV