NEW YORK (TheStreet)-- The Securities and Exchange Commission's internal watchdog has launched an investigation into the timing of the agency's settlement of its civil fraud case against Goldman Sachs (GS) last week.
The SEC's Office of Inspector General, which is headed by H. David Kotz, is probing the issue at the request of Rep. Darrell Issa (R, Calif.), according to a July 22 letter from Kotz to Issa obtained by TheStreet. The investigation was first reported by CNBC.
As I pointed out here, the timing of both the announcement of the fraud charges and the settlement seemed to be closely coordinated with President Obama's push for financial reform legislation.
Issa raised similar concerns in a July 22 letter to Kotz and in a July 16 letter to SEC Chairman Mary Schapiro. In the letter to Kotz, Issa also argues the SEC settled the case with Goldman "to avoid further criticism in the press." The letter states that settling a case on such grounds "is explicitly prohibited in regulations governing the Commission's behavior."Goldman shares were changing hands at $146.37, shortly before the closing bell, a decline of 0.42%. The stock had traded higher for most of day, but dove shortly after the CNBC report appeared, briefly sinking as low as $144.16. -- Written by Dan Freed in New York.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV