Investors responded with enthusiasm, bidding the cruise ship operator's stock up more than 10% Thursday after it raised its third-quarter and full-year guidance above consensus estimates. Rival Carnival (CCL) rode the proverbial wave with shares up more than 7%, though it recently offered a gloomier forecast.
"Outperformance was almost all a function of cost control," noted Stifel Nicolaus analyst Steven Wieczynski. "RCL has now posted three straight quarters of impressive expense containment."
Net cruise costs fell 2.8% during the quarter. Excluding fuel-related expenses, net cruise costs dropped 4.4%. Those improvements reflected success in cost-cutting efforts, efficiencies that were achieved while the number of passengers carried during the quarter bumped up 18.4% to more than one million. Fuel expenditures were $6 million better than expected, the operator of Celebrity Cruises and Azamara Club Cruises said. Expense timing and currency fluctuations also helped keep costs in check.
Royal Carribean Stock Rating Report
(RCL) Rating and Financial Analysis
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV