Sometimes, knowing which issues to trade is half the battle -- and in BHP Billiton's (BBL) case, it's a losing one.
While the diversified miner has potential upside in its shares right now, minuscule upside gain potential is telling traders to hold off on this one. Right now, shares are trading upward between the moving averages. But with little space between shares and the stronger 200-day moving average right now, there's a lot more downside risk than there is upside potential. If you want to take a trade on BHP Billiton, I'd recommend waiting for shares to bounce off of the 200-day and go short, or in the case of a break above the 200, wait for confirmation in the form of support at the 200-day.
In the short term, at least, there are too many higher-potential trades out there to justify taking on a sniping trade like this stock.
Who Owns BHP Billiton?
To see this week's trades in action, check out the High Volume Technicals portfolio on Stockpickr.-- Written by Jonas Elmerraji in Baltimore.
Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV