Technology giant Cisco Systems (CSCO) has also had a slow start to the year, but unlike Bank of America, this communications and networking play has the potential to fall ahead of its August 11 earnings date.
In the data networking market, Cisco is the hands-down leader. The company owns impressive IP technologies and has a brand name that enterprise and retail clients trust. But that hasn't quelled the recession-induced sales slowdown. And it won't shake off a short-term downtrend.
Cisco saw a double top last week at $24, a reversal that pushed shares back below the 50-day moving average. Since then, the 50-day has been acting as resistance, holding share price levels underneath it. With double-top resistance just overhead and shares tracking sideways at present, a downward push seems likely. I'm betting that shares will tumble to $21 by August.
If you want to bet on a downside move for this stock, place your stop above the 50-day moving average.
Who Owns Cisco?
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV