Bank of America (BAC) has been struggling to keep up with the rest of the market this year.
While the broad market has slid more than 4% so far in 2010, the giant bank has seen its shares tumble more than 11%. That underperformance comes despite the fact that Bank of America sports an enormous deposit base, a newly acquired wealth management powerhouse and a dominant retail banking presence in a handful of key markets. Shareholders could see their patience vindicated next week -- in the short term, at least.
Shares of Bank of America hit support on Wednesday and are just starting to bounce higher. While the upside potential for this stock isn't mind-blowing right now, it shouldn't be eschewed; shares will likely make their way to moving average resistance at around $15.50 if the bounce holds up. Strong performance early in Thursday's trading makes it look like that's exactly what's going to happen starting today.
As always, if you want to bet on an upswing in this stock, it's essential to protect yourself. Place a stop right under support $13.45 if you decide to move on Bank of America.
Who Owns Bank of America?
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV