Notwithstanding the tax issue, Morgan Stanley turned in a strong quarter in its trading and capital markets businesses, especially in the face of weakness from rivals like Citigroup (C), Bank of America (BAC), JPMorgan Chase (JPM), and Goldman Sachs (GS), which turned in a surprisingly mediocre performance Tuesday.
Morgan Stanley shares were up more than 9% on brisk volume of more than 16 million ahead of a scheduled 11:00 AM ET conference call with analysts.
--Written by Dan Freed in New York.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV