The move comes as current CEO Olli-Pekka Kallasvuo is struggling to keep Nokia up with smartphone advances made by rivals such as Apple (AAPL), the Wall Street Journal notes. Kallasvuo has been CEO since 2006.
A U.S. spokeswoman wouldn't comment for the Journal, and efforts to reach spokesman in Finland were unsuccessful, the newspaper says.
"They are serious about making a change,'' one person familiar with the matter told the Journal.Nokia's board is expected to make a decision by the end of July, the person added. The CEO of a major U.S. high-tech company recently rejected Nokia's approach because the candidate wasn't interested in moving to Finland, the Journal reports, citing the person familiar with the situation. The company also has flown in at least one other U.S.-based executive to interview for the CEO job. -- Written by Joseph Woelfel in New York. Get more stock ideas and investing advice on our sister site, Stockpickr.com.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV