Alere's Dr. Gordon Norman Provides Insights Into Putting The Nation's Broken Healthcare System 'Back Together Again'
ATLANTA, July 19 /PRNewswire/ -- Like all the King's men in the Humpty Dumpty nursery rhyme, U.S. healthcare leaders are searching for ways to put our fractured healthcare system "back together again." That fact and analogy are focal points of a presentation by Gordon Norman, MD, chief innovation officer for Alere, at the Seventh Annual Healthcare Unbound Conference, July 19-20 in San Diego.
Dr. Norman's presentation will highlight the various participants within the healthcare industry – physicians, state and federal legislators, attorneys, healthcare technology companies, courts, private investors and patients – and how complex and disparate the system has become, leading to higher costs and poorer outcomes ... in effect, a broken system.
"Never has the healthcare system been more complex, or more ineffective," says Dr. Norman. "If we are going to put the healthcare system back together, we have to find smarter ways to connect, empower, and better care for all of our citizens."
He notes key challenges facing our nation:
- Medical cost inflation is two to three times that of general inflation.
- Chronic conditions such as diabetes and heart disease are proliferating for adults, and for the first time in history, children and adolescents may have a shorter lifespan than their parents.
- Two-thirds of the U.S. population is overweight or obese; poor habits and lifestyle choices account for 60% of all deaths.(1)
- Enhance the ability of primary care physicians to manage their panel of patients through the use of technology to better connect and promote collaboration among expanded care teams
- Help individuals make better choices and decisions through empowering technologies like remote monitoring, home diagnostics and interoperable health information exchange for electronic and personal health records
- Reimburse care teams for positive outcomes rather than piecework, while linking patient out-of-pocket costs to healthy decisions and actions
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV