CUPERTINO, Calif. (AP) â¿¿ A perfect iPhone? There's no app for that. Apple Inc. will give free protective cases to buyers of its latest iPhone to prevent reception problems that occur when people cover a certain spot on the phone with a bare hand.
CEO Steve Jobs apologized Friday to people who are less than satisfied with the iPhone 4, even as he denied it has an antenna problem that needs fixing.
The more than 3 million people who have already bought an iPhone 4 can go to Apple's website starting late next week and sign up for a free case, he said. Apple can't make enough of its $29 "Bumper" cases for everyone, so the company will let people chose from several case styles.
___Regulators shut South Carolina bank WASHINGTON (AP) â¿¿ Regulators have shut down a South Carolina bank, bringing to 91 the number of U.S. banks failures this year amid the recession and mounting loan defaults. The Federal Deposit Insurance Corp. on Friday took over Woodlands Bank, based in Bluffton, S.C., with $376.2 million in assets. Bank of the Ozarks, based in Little Rock, Ark., agreed to assume the assets and deposits of the failed bank. The failure of Woodlands Bank is expected to cost the deposit insurance fund $115 million. By The Associated Press The Dow fell 261.41, or 2.5 percent, to 10,097.90. The Standard & Poor's 500 index fell 31.60, or 2.9 percent, to 1,064.88. The Nasdaq composite index fell 70.03, or 3.1 percent, to 2,179.05. Benchmark crude for August delivery settled down 61 cents at $76.01 a barrel on the New York Mercantile Exchange in reaction to the economic news. Heating oil lost 0.7 cent to $2.0113 a gallon, gasoline fell 1.21 cents to $2.0486 a gallon and natural gas fell 6.7 cents to $4.519 per 1,000 cubic feet.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV