Perhaps a bit cranky after coming back from a vacation in Hawaii to address the iPhone's antenna issues and dropping $87 million on free cases to help calm the masses, Jobs was defensive, blunt and, when asked about a Bloomberg report alleging he was informed about the antenna issue before the iPhone's launch, downright salty. But why should we describe Jobs' words when they speak so eloquently for themselves. Here are his top 14 quotes from the iPhone 4 "Antennagate" conference:
1. "We've been working on this for just 22 days. We are an engineering company, and we want to find out what the real problem is. We've been working our butts off so we can come up with real solutions." -- Said in front of a screen that read "22 Days Working Our Butts Off."
2. "You'll still see a drop. ... We haven't figured out a way around the laws of physics yet."3. "So the heart of the problem is, smartphones have issues." 4. " 'Jesus, it must be a lot of users complaining about this' -- so what percentage have called AppleCare? 0.55%. Just one half of 1%." 5. "Antennagate -- that doesn't seem like a good thing if you can make the bars go down by touching the phone. Well, we first learned that this doesn't just happen to the iPhone -- Nokia (NOK), Motorola (MOT) ... other phones have this issue." 6. "Gizmodo put their video on the Web, touching the corner, and people were seeing a large drop in bars." 7. "You think half the people must be returning their phones with what you read online ... well, it's 1.7% -- less than a third of the 3GS returns." 8. "We think this has been so blown out of proportion ... it's fun to have a story, but it's not fun on the other side." 9. " 'Why don't you give everybody a case'? OK -- we'll give you a free case."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV