NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Apple (AAPL) has a "fix" for the iPhone 4 antenna problem after all. Now the problem becomes how the company will handle the replacement or repairs of the 3 million phones already sold.
Instead of defending its "there's no problem" stance anticipated at a special press conference Friday, Apple is likely to announce that it has a solution.
Apple has created "a design fix for the iPhone 4 that more adequately insulates the transceiver," said Rodman Renshaw analyst Ashok Kumar, who spoke to the company's manufacturing partners.
Apple has told its manufacturers to alter the iPhone production process to include an internal component that will insulate the defective antenna connection that has disrupted the phone's signal reception, said Kumar. This internal bumper will give Apple a non-cosmetic solution and will presumably avoid the need to change the appearance of the phone, said Kumar.Apple was not available for immediate comment. If true, the internal bumper "fix" raises questions of whether or not Apple is applying a Band-Aid to a serious hardware flaw. But perhaps an even larger issue for Apple: How the company gets the fix to more than 3 million iPhones already out the door. Kumar's information would jibe with a report from RBC's Mike Abramsky Thursday, who said iPhone supplies have gotten scarce. "Apple's online store today shows iPhone 4 availability now 3 weeks
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV