Progress Energy (PGN) is one of the largest regulated utilities in the world -- and as such, it may seem like an interesting candidate for a technical play. After all, utilities are renowned for their consistent earnings, recession resistance and high dividend yields -- not exactly an appealing profile for stock speculators. But that doesn't mean that you should ignore this company's technical prowess on its face.
Shares of Progress Energy have been locked in a slow forming ascending triangle pattern since the end of 2009. This bullish pattern looks like it's finally paying off for investors thanks to a breakout in shares last week.
Right now, shares look poised to pull back and test support. If support holds, and if shares start to move higher in response, then it's time to make a move to the long side. I wouldn't recommend buying shares barring that bounce.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV