NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- You think having a lot of clout and a big stack of cash will get you the car of your dreams? Get in line, pal.
For each rush-hour racer who simply must have the newest sporty six-figure supercar and each expressway environmentalist who lusts after the latest plug-in hybrid, there are hundreds of others vying for the same vehicle. In a world of 6.8 billion people, overlap is bound to occur.
Despite a more than 10% drop in U.S. auto sales between May and June (still up 14.4% from June 2009), coveted cars are selling out and waiting lists are expanding. Special editions from Ferrari and McLaren and anticipated plug-ins from GM's (MTLQQ) Chevrolet and Nissan (NSANY) are longstanding prizes, but more common models from GMC and Ford (F) have also become precious commodities.
TheStreet scoured the market and found 10 examples of cars that won't be on your local lot, but that investors and early adopters considered worth the wait:
2011 BMW 5 Series: BMW re-released this line last month with a little more pop, offering two 3.0-liter inline-six-cylinder engines and a 4.4-liter V8. As a result, the entire line sold out and empty-handed 5 Series fans were placed on a four-month waiting list.The line turbocharged sales, as 5 Series purchases in the U.S. last month increased more than 40% from June 2009 -- with more than 3,800 drivers paying a base price of $44,550 to $66,200 -- while BMW's overall sales accelerated 14.6% in the same period.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV