"Taken collectively, the regulatory activity now underway is so overwhelming and beyond anything we have ever seen, that we risk moving this country away from a government of the people to a government of regulators," Donohue said.
Charles Schwab added that he's of the opinion that the best thing the government should do right now is create an environment for small businesses to grow and gain the confidence to spend and hire new employees.
Obama, for his part, in a presumably non-coincidental event, met today with the "Oracle of Omaha," Berkshire Hathaway's (BRK.B) president Warren Buffett. According to White House spokesman Robert Gibbs, the two discussed "the efforts that we're taking to get the economy moving again."
"You don't turn down the opportunity to talk to Warren Buffett," Gibbs said.-- Reported by Theresa McCabe in Boston. Follow Theresa McCabe on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV