SEATTLE (TheStreet) -- Expeditors International of Washington (EXPD) is among the biggest market gainers on Wednesday morning after the global logistics firm upped its second quarter earnings guidance.
In the after-hours session on Tuesday, Expeditors International shares began rising after the company said that its earnings would reach 38 cents to 40 cents, versus a Street consensus of 30 cents. In the second quarter last year, the global logistics company earned 25 cents per share.
On Wednesday after the market open, Expeditors International shares spiked by more than 5%. Trading volume in the logistics company's stock quickly reached half of its average daily volume of 1.4 million shares. Expeditors International shares had gained as much as 10% in Tuesday's after-hours session.
CEO Peter Rose noted that the expected earnings were also above the second quarter 2008 level. Year-over-year growth in airfreight and ocean freight has been strong, though the company stopped short of upping guidance for the full year.The logistics company is expected to release earnings on August 3. -- Written by Eric Rosenbaum from New York. Follow TheStreet.com on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV