Facebook stands to profit heavily off that figure. The social network recently inked multi-year deals with several gaming companies like Zynga, in which Facebook will use its own Facebook Credits platform. Users will only be able to buy goods with Facebook Credits, and the social network will receive 30% of all revenue generated through those games. That arrangement could help Facebook generate hundreds of millions of dollars on its Credits service this year.
That said, Facebook made it clear that it won't be doing much with those profits over the next several years. Speaking in an interview with tech blog Venturebeat, Ethan Beard, director of Facebook's developer network, said the company will reinvest profits to bolster its service.
Even so, the future looks bright for Facebook, and it could be the big tech IPO the market has been waiting for. Considering how well-positioned it is on the Web and the revenue potential it has, the sky could be the limit for Facebook shares.
--Written by Don Reisinger in New York.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV