NEW YORK (TheStreet)- Alcoa's (AA) earnings for the second quarter could miss estimates on higher production costs and lower realized aluminum prices. However, management guidance for 2010 will define the stock price movement.
Alcoa, the largest U.S. aluminum producer, is scheduled to financial results after markets close on Monday. The company is expected to report earnings of 12 cents share, according to analysts polled by Bloomberg, compared with a loss of 19 cents for the first quarter of 2010, and a loss of 32 cents in the year-earlier second quarter.
Last week, JPMorgan analyst Michael Gambardella lowered Alcoa's earnings per share to 10 cents from an earlier forecast of 15 cents, citing lower-than-expected aluminum prices. Gambardella maintained a December price target of $15.50 since the middle of May.
During the second quarter, sales are estimated to zoom 26% to $5.02 billion from a year earlier and decline 4% from $5.23 billion for the first quarter of 2010. Meanwhile, earnings before interest, taxes, depreciation and amortization is expected to zoom 40 times to $706.3 billion from $17.3 billion for the second quarter of 2009. However, Ebitda is expected to increase marginally from $705.8 million for the first quarter of 2010.
More on Alcoa
Why Investors Should Avoid Alcoa
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV