BOSTON (TheStreet) -- The S&P 500 Index has fallen 4% this year after posting a monumental rebound in 2009. Individual members of the benchmark index have suffered more pronounced downturns. And many of the laggards are closely watched companies.
Here are the 10 worst-performing S&P 500 stocks of 2010. They are ordered by return, from bad to worst.
10. Monster Worldwide (MWW), a global online job site, has tumbled 32% this year. Monster's first-quarter loss more than doubled to $24 million, or 20 cents a share, as revenue declined 15%. The operating margin fell further into negative territory. Despite improved bookings and the steady ascent of its proprietary Employment Index, Monster has been punished by market participants. Its stock is conspicuously expensive, trading at a price-to-projected-earnings ratio of 40, a 75% premium to the Internet services industry average.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV