The court pointed out that the closest the plaintiff came to showing "scienter"--knowledge of wrongdoing--was when a former employee allegedly "heard that Impac's president overrode an underwriter's recommendation to reject a bulk loan purchase in April or May 2006 and caused the loan pool to be purchased." The problem, the court found, is that "there is no allegation that this override necessarily occurred during the class period and in any event
So out went the case. Despite those five ex-employees, the plaintiffs weren't able to conduct any discovery, thanks to Congress's gift to the shareholders of America.
I'm not pleading the cause of class action lawyers here, folks. Melvyn Weiss (no relation, thank God), the king of class action lawyers, was sent to prison a couple of years ago for illegal client kickbacks, and even before that scandal the class-action bar was rife with issues, chief among them was that they get paid too much and investors get paid too little. But in an era in which the SEC proves every day that it's simply not up to the task of enforcing the securities laws, securities fraud suits are one of the few ways private citizens can get some measure of justice.
The PSLRA needs to go, and a real reform measure needs to take its place. It's not happening, but that doesn't make it any less necessary.
|More on FinReg GE Capital Could Feel Reform Sting|
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV