3. iShares MSCI Poland Index Fund (EPOL)When iShares launched EPOL, many in the industry were eager to see how the new fund would perform in a space already covered by Van Eck's PLND. This ETF, which tracks the MSCI Poland Investable Market Index, has been a big hit; between the launch in late May and the end of the following month, EPOL's inflows were an eye-popping $57 million.
2. ETFS Palladium Shares (PALL)The launch of the first U.S.-listed physically backed palladium ETF seems like ages ago. After clearing some major regulatory hurdles, PALL debuted early in January amidst great hype from investors looking to expand their precious metals portfolio beyond gold and silver. PALL helped to put ETF Securities on the map in the U.S.; this fund saw inflows of $355 million in the first half of the year, or more than $2 million per day.
1. ETFS Platinum Shares (PPLT)The impressive interest in platinum has been exceeded only by demand for another PGM. PPLT burst on to the ETF scene as the first physically backed fund offering exposure to platinum (PGM and PTM had previously offered exposure to the metal through a futures-based strategy). That distinction was an important one to investors, as PPLT has been the most successful new ETF launch of 2010. Since debuting in January, cash flows totaled almost $450 million, or more than $2.5 million for each day.
Drawing ConclusionsThe composition of the foregoing list sheds some light on the current state of the ETF industry. With the exception of SCHE, the most successful new ETFs have not been broad-based "plain vanilla" products, but rather funds offering more targeted and unique exposure. Despite reports of a "saturation point" in the industry, it's clear that there is significant demand for new products that cater to corners of the investable market not readily accessible for most investors. That should be an encouraging sign to any ETF issuer with new funds in the pipeline. It's also interesting to note that interest in leveraged ETFs remains high, as funds from both Direxion and ProShares made the list here.
The pace of new fund launches has slowed a bit in recent months, but the pipeline has continued to fill with intriguing ideas
Disclosure: No positions at time of writing.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV