Spain to Play Netherlands for World Cup
DURBAN, South Africa ( TheStreet) -- Carles Puyol's powerful header in the 73rd minute was all Spain needed Wednesday to beat Germany, 1-0, to advance to its first World Cup final.
|Spain's Carles Puyol (5) scores on Germany goalkeeper Manuel Neuer during their World Cup semifinal soccer match in Durban, South Africa, Wednesday.|
The smooth passing of the 2008 European champions was too much for Germany, a team that many believed could have muscled its way to the title after thrashings of England and Argentina.
But sure-footed Spain controlled time of possession, 57 minutes to 43, and moved deliberately and artfully on the Germans' goal throughout the match. Germany had its chances, but appeared flummoxed frequently by the quicker Spanish side in a clean game that saw no yellow or red cards issued.Spain will face the Netherlands for the trophy on Sunday in Johannesburg. The Dutch defeated Uruguay, 3-2, on Tuesday. The winner of Sunday's match will hoist a World Cup for the first time. Written by William Hennelly in New York.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV