BALTIMORE ( Stockpickr) -- It's one thing to follow the moves of some of the world's most successful investors -- but how about the smartest? According to the Financial Times, Jim Simons is just that. The founder of hedge fund manager Renaissance Technologies, Simons earned the moniker of world's smartest billionaire while generating legendary returns at its off Wall Street campus.
Renaissance Technologies isn't like most Wall Street firms because it doesn't hire Wall Street types; only scientists need apply. Simons himself holds a Ph.D. in mathematics and was the chairman of Stony Brook University's math department until 1978 when he entered the investing world full time. Today, around a third of Renaissance's employees are Ph.D.s whose expertise ranges from astronomy to physics.
It's a system that's worked well for the firm, which boasts a 2,478% cumulative return since 1999.
Here's a look at some of the new positions Renaissance Technologies
added to its portfolio last quarter.
Also on Stockpickr
|Who Else Owns Millipore?|
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV