By Jeff Reeves of InvestorPlace
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- 2010 seemed to get off to a good start ... at least until May, when the bottom fell out and the market started its slow and steady march back down to the lowest levels since November. And with the way things have been going lately, it doesn't look like the bleeding is going to stop any time soon.
Amid this volatility, dividend stocks are in favor on Wall Street as many investors look to limit their downside with guaranteed payouts. Banking the dividends from your portfolio can help replace some of the value lost when shares slide -- or if the payout is good enough and the stock is stable enough, actually grow your nest egg even while other investors are in the red.
To position your portfolio for profits even in a rough market, here are 7 low-risk dividend plays right now.
More From Investor Place
|The Best Small Caps to Buy Now|
|7 High-Yield Dividend Stocks That Are Hurting Investors|
|How to Find Hot Penny Stocks|
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV