BOSTON (TheStreet) -- The Internet standard known as HTML5 (supported by Apple (AAPL) to the exclusion of Adobe's (ADBE) Flash), geo-location and cloud computing are the fastest-growing outsourced online jobs, according to Freelancer.com, which sets up businesses with independent contractors.
Geo-location freelance jobs rose 10-fold in the second quarter from a year earlier, according to the report, which credited the rise in popularity of location-focused sites such as FourSquare. Geo-location is finding the physical location of something or someone electronically.
HTML5 jobs had an eight-fold jump in the wake of the release of the Apple iPad and iPhone4. Amazon (AMZN) Web-services jobs climbed five-fold, according to the Freelancer.com report, which added that "anything related to hosting services over the Internet has seen an impressive increase."
And mobile-phone applications, or apps, jobs rose four-fold, driven by the popularity of smartphones.The hot-jobs report stands in contrast to trends in the country's labor market. The expansion in U.S. service industries, the biggest part of the economy, weakened in June, a report said yesterday. The nation lost jobs last month for the first time this year, a report showed Friday. The jobless rate stands at 9.5%, compared with the 2008 low of 4.8%. But while the Freelancer.com report reflects hot industry trends, it doesn't necessarily indicate that freelancers will strike it rich immediately. The average gig on Freelancer.com pays less than $200. Freelancer.com reported its findings based on a user base of 1.6 million freelancers and employers. On the following page are the 10 fastest-growing online job categories in the latest quarter, according to Freelancer.com:
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV